Learn about the African Queen who fought off the slave trade for 30 years! Edan shares the exciting story Queen Nzinga, a bad-ass ruler brought her own chair to a conference. Don’t worry it will all make sense. The gal-pals also have fun with languages, escape rooms, and getting their brain around which way the Nile flows.
Show Notes & Extras
- This month’s gal pals are Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and Edan. Bonnie has already talked about Wangari Maathai
- Get-to-know-you question: what is something interesting about Africa that you think people should know because it’s so fascinating?
- Language fun
- Great Migration documentary (YouTube Clip)
- Escape Room tangent
- The Nile is messing with ya brain!
- It’s baaaaack! Is A Hot Dog a Sandwich?
- Edan’s 1 Cool African Gal is Queen Nzinga
- Mcdonald’s Little Known Black History Facts
- Queen of the Mandu people
- Born in 1583 in what is now known as Angola
- Portuguese slave trade
- French and English competitors in the slave trade
- Nzinga goes to a conference
- Dona Anna de Sousa, her Portuguese/Catholic name
- 1626 started her rule
- Formed alliances to stop the slave trade for 30 years!
- Begining of slave ships in the Americas
- Nzinga in her 60’s and still on the battlefield
- UPDATE: wounded in the eye gal might be Amanirenas (Rejected Princesses)
- More info on the Dahomey Warriors and the movie coming up by Lupita Nyong’o and Viola Davis movie is called The Woman King (movie info on Shadow Act) (Documentary info on Bustle)
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.