Katie talks about the author of We Should All Be Feminists Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and the dangers of only knowing a culture’s singular story. Wonderful conversation on feminism, equality and being inspired by fellow women.
Show Notes & Extras
- This month’s gal pals are Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and Edan. Bonnie has already talked about Wangari Maathai and Edan has already talked about Queen Nzinga
- Katie tried really hard on pronunciation
- Get-to-know-you question: What do you think of when you hear the word, Africa?
- The Egyptian part of the museum
- UPDATE: Bison farm in Indiana is called Cooks Bison Ranch
- Katherine Hepburn book Leah mentions
- Katie’s 1 Cool African Gals is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Ted Talks
- Early Life
- Books: We Should All Be Feminists, Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions
- College in America with two Masters in creative writing and African studies
- Novel – Americanah
- Daily Show interview
- Chimamanda was inspired to write by another woman
- Novels Purple Hibiscus (2003) Half of the Yellow Sun (2006) short story collection is called The Thing Around Your Neck (2009)
- Feminism convo
- Chimamanda’s impactful experiences
- Stereotypes of the angry feminists
- Beyonce’s Lemonade!
- When dudes get credit for things women have done
- Ted Talk Edan mentioned on white male culture
- Toxic masculinity
- ERA hoops
- When men get praise (or need praise) for what women are expected to do without a thought of thanks
- Lean on the strengths in a partnership
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.