Katie Harris has a knack for picking a great book! A leader (and treasured unicorn) of Gal’s Guide Book Club Katie will handpick a book that fits into our research theme for the month. Selections might be fiction, they might be nonfiction.
We will meet on the last Thursday of every month at 8pm. Because of our wide reach, we’re still looking at using Zoom to meet.
We are a no-pressure book club, you don’t have to read the full book to participate. You do however have to sign up.
For Book Club
July Book Selection
Marvel Gals Month
Thursday, July 28 at 8pm On Zoom
Captain Marvel: Liberation Run
by Tess Sharpe
When a mysterious spacecraft comes hurtling toward Earth, Carol Danvers–the hero known as Captain Marvel–narrowly prevents it from crashing and killing its mysterious pilot. The young woman, Rhi, is an Inhuman, part of a group who rejected that society’s caste system and left for the stars in search of a new life. What they found, however, was imprisonment on a planet ruled by a cruel patriarchy. There, Inhumans are treated like currency, and possession of an Inhuman girl brings the master great power and influence. To refuse means death, and Rhi has risked everything to seek help. Horrified by the picture the young woman paints, Carol pledges to accompany her back to the planet and pulls together a team of heroes to help. Joined by Ant-Man, Mantis, and Amadeus Cho (Brawn), Carol and Rhi set out to free her family, her people, and an entire planet.
Available at the Gal’s Guide Library
August Book Selection
Thursday, August 25 at 8pm on Zoom
- Untamed by Glennon Doyle
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer
- The Story of More by Hope Jahren
- The House of Pendragon: The Firebrand by Debra A. Kemp
- Gorge by Kara Richardson Whitely
- Baby Conquers the World by Rich & Sandra Neil Wallace
- It’s What I do by Lynsey Addario
- The Woman’s Hour by Elaine Weiss
- Queens of Animation by Nathalia Holt
- The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich
- In the Time of Butterflies by Julia Alvarez
- Georgia: a novel by Dawn Tripp
- The Awakened Woman by Dr. Terari Trent
- Hedy’s Folly by Richard Rhodes
- Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay