Did you know the reason the U.S. has a federal holiday for Martin Luther King Jr is because of the work of Coretta Scott King? Learn about this active participant of peace who was active in the Civil Right Movement before meeting MLK.
- We are on Zoom ’cause COVID
- The Gal Pals for January are, Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and Pamela Toler
- Get to know you question – what is your favorite protest song? (video links below)
- Leah’s Gal’s Guide article about The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
- Leah’s 1 Cool Rebel Gal is Coretta Scott King
- We celebrate Martin Luther King Jr Day on the 3rd Monday of January because of her and others.
- Overview of Coretta’s activism
- Early day spark
- Studied music
- Met Martin
- Two choices music or the movement
- “What most didn’t understand is that I not only married the man that I loved, but the moved I loved as well”
- Balance of motherhood and the movement
- Singing at Freedom Concerts
- Kept learning
- 1968 assignation of MLK
- How she delt with it
- The King Center
- Coretta Scott King Book Award
- Working for a federal holiday
- Indiana Representative Katie Hall
- President Reagan didn’t want MLK day
- 3 years before it took effect
- States resistance
- All 50 states weren’t onboard until 2000
- Any other countries celebrate MLK day?
- Books about Coretta in the Library (Gal’s Guide Library)
- Different kind of rebel
- Betty Shabazz
- Nevertheless She Persisted – Elizabeth Warren was reading a letter from Coretta Scott King (video below)
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.