We start our exploration of women and their animals on the podcast! Bonnie goes first and tells us the tragic tales of Virginia Woolf and her comfort animal dogs. These shaggy muses would even inspire her to write various stories. The gal-pals also talk about their own animal at home.
This week’s episode on YouTube has live video.
Show Notes & Extras
- We’re recording on Zoom so that means video!!!!
- The gal-pals this month are Dr. Leah Leah, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and Rebecca Berfanger
- This is the first time we are researching women and their animals.
- May 4 – May 10, 2020 is Be Kind to Animal Week
- May 1 – 8 is National Pet Week
- Animal books in the Gal’s Guide collection can be found here
- Bonnie’s 1 Cool Animal Thing is Virginia Woolf and her dogs
- Shaggy Muses is the book Bonnie’s talks about as is available from the Gal’s Guide Library
- UPDATE Virginia Woolf was born in 1882
- Virginia’s early life
- Pet adventures
- Shaggy dog was not interested in catching rats
- Mother’s death coupled with mental health issues
- Dogs were her emotional support animal
- Gurth the sheepdog
- UPDATE – yes named after a character in Ivanhoe.
- Shag vs Gurth
- Shag’s death 😦
- Take your dog to a concert day (not a thing)
- Virginia’s sister dog
- Putting out matches with their paws?
- Married Leonard Woolf
- Leonard’s horrible childhood trauma
- Fox terrier named Grizzel
- Spaniel named Pinka
- Orlando – Rebecca has it on VHS
- Flush by Virginia Woold is inspired by Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s dog
- Pinka’s death 1 day before coming home on from a trip
- Sally the black and white spaniel
- Virginia’s suicide
- How dogs were her support animals
- How she got her dogs
- Lease and muzzle laws
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.