Denise talks about the creation and evolution of the 1920’s animated flapper girl, Betty Boop. With it being the 2020’s perhaps it’s time for Betty to get a modern makeover!
- The Gal Pals this month are Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and Denise Jaeckel.
- Leah already talked about Wonder Woman
- Get to know you question – If you could be any cartoon character for a day who would it be?
- What Denise meant to do
- What Denise decided on
- Denise’s 1 Cool Cartoon Thing is Betty Boop
- Betty starts as a French Poodle
- Sex symbol & escape
- Max Fleischer creator
- Based on Helen Kane (Wikipedia)
- Helen Kane based her act on Baby Ester (Ester Jones) (Wikipedia)
- EXTRA: The story of the trail between who owned the likeness to Betty Boop. (Harlem World Magazine)
- One of the main voices 1930-1938 actress of Betty was Mae Questel (Wikipedia)
- Betty Boop is 90 years old this year
- Written out of her own show
- Better Boop was brought back in the 70’s
- 1980’s merchandising
- Sexual innocence
- Could Betty be reinvented?
- D.C. Bombshells Comic Line (D.C.)
- Why is decency associated with owning your sexuality?
- Hope in the next generation
- School dress codes
- An idea of Betty Boop
- Roaring 20’s, best time for Betty to come back in a new way
- Disney characters with jobs (Insider)
- Hedy Lamarr as inspiration for Snow White and Cat Woman
Support the Show
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.