This week Kate is joined by Jennifer Berk to talk about the messages and childhood confusion in the 1987 film Dirty Dancing. They talk about the music and the dancing, explore motifs of upstairs/downstairs, father-daughter relationships, fear, and wonder just what is “an appointment” is and what being “in trouble” means. Trigger warning we do talk about abortion in this episode in the context of the movie.
- Dirty Dancing IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092890/?ref_=nv_sr_2
- Dirty Dancing Soundtrack History: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Dancing_(soundtrack)
- American Graffiti Soundtrack History: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/41_Original_Hits_from_the_Soundtrack_of_American_Graffiti
- Roe V Wade Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade
Filmmaker Kate Chaplin takes a film that has influenced her life for good, bad or ugly and dissects it to show YOU the hidden lessons within movies. This five-time-award-winning show appeared on D20crit from 2013-2015. New episodes coined “Reloaded” were produced by Gal’s Guide from 2016-2017. Many of the shows have been lost to the digital dust (yet somehow still on Google Play) but keep an eye out for our Flashback Friday Episodes on the Gal’s Guide Podcast.
- Most Entertaining – 2016 INDYpodnet Awards
- Best Audio Quality & Editing – 2016 INDYpodnet Awards
- Most Entertaining – 2015 INDYpodnet Awards
- Rookie of the Year – 2015 INDYpodnet Awards
- Best Coverage of a Geek Event – 2015 INDYpodnet Awards