Today we are talking about a funny gal whose observational humor led her onto the biggest gigs for a comedian, followed by multiple shows featuring her name, books, award show hosting duties and a presidential medal of freedom. But there was a time when we turned our back on her. Today we’re going to spread some kindness and laughter and talk about the life and legacy of your gal, Ellen DeGeneres.
Learn About Ellen in Less Than 2 Minutes
YouTube Version of Full Episode
Show Notes & Extra’s:
- What Leah and Phoebe knew of Ellen before researching.
- Where Ellen grew up.
- How Ellen learned that comedy could get her mom out of depression.
- Starting stand up.
- The death of her girlfriend that led to a “Phone Call to God” comedy bit.
- Appearance on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.
- TV shows Open House & Laurie Hill.
- TV show These Friends of Mine (later changed to Ellen).
- Ellen’s coming out on her show and in real life.
- Ellen cancellation and how we almost lost Ellen.
- HBO comedy special Ellen DeGeneres: The Beginning & The Ellen Show
- Hosting The Primetime Emmy Awards 7 weeks after 9/11.
- The 2003 comeback.
- Leah’s Finding Nemo story. (Full story available here. Kate’s Take Episode available here.)
- New talk show, The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
- Books published.
- Award show hosting duties and awards won.
- Activism in animal rights, human rights, and women’s rights.
- What legacy Leah and Phoebe think Ellen is building.
- What lessons Leah and Phoebe learned from Ellen DeGeneres.
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, wallpapers, idea lists, and behind the scenes.
ABOUT YOUR GAL FRIDAY
Your Gal Friday is a weekly podcast about female leaders, innovators and rule breakers. Your hosts, Dr. Leah Leach & Ms. Phoebe Frear, talk about the life and legacy about a gal as well as what they have learned from her.