Today we are talking about a gal who went from picking cotton in Nutbush, TN to an icon on stage and screen. There were many hardships and if you haven’t heard her story get ready for a tale of a survivor with a soundtrack to go along with it. On episode #39 we’re talking the life and legacy of your gal, Tina Turner.
Learn About Tina in less than 2 Minutes
Show Notes & Extra’s
- What Leah and Phoebe knew of Tina before researching
- Born as Anna Mae Bullock.
- She grew up moving many times, living with different relatives and seeing her mother leave to save herself from abuse.
- In St. Louis meeting the King of Rhythm Band which included Ike Turner
- “Little Anna” first credit on a record in 1958 with “Box Tops” by Kings of Rhythum
- Moved to the front of the band after “A Fool in Love” was a hit
- Ike Turner gave Anna a stage name of “Tina Turner” without her knowledge or permission. (Video source: Oprah’s Next Chapter Interview)
- Ike started to beat Tina and according to her own words “instilled fear” in her
- To avoid public confusion in 1962 Tina and Ike were married in Mexico.
- Working with Phil Spector
- Teaching Mick Jagger how to dance
- Suicide Attempt
- “Proud Mary” reaching #4 on Billboard and earning a Grammy
- 1976 Tina leaves Ike and fights to keep her name.
- 1984 Comeback with the album Private Dancer.
- “What’s Love Got to Do with it” hits #1
- Movie and TV show appearances
- More albums and world tours up to the age of 70!
- Awards won
- Her Buddhist practice (Source: Living Buddhism Magazine Interview)
- Becoming a Swiss citizen
- Her 27 year relationship and eventually marriage to Erwin Bach
- Tina’s Legacy. (Video Source: Oprah’s Next Chapter)
- What can we learn from Tina Turner?
Also In Our Gals Who Rock Series
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, wallpapers, idea lists, and behind the scenes.
ABOUT YOUR GAL FRIDAY
Your Gal Friday is a weekly podcast about female leaders, innovators and rule breakers. Your hosts, Dr. Leah Leach & Ms. Phoebe Frear, talk about the life and legacy about a gal as well as what they have learned from her.