This week Edan keeps her 1 Cool Black History Thing all in the family. Edan shares the amazing life and legacy of her Great-Grandfather Willis Richardson, a playwright who was the first African-American to have a non-musical production on Broadway. His plays live on today in museums and on stage. Learn all about this amazing guy this week on the Gal’s Guide to the Galaxy Podcast episode #16.
- This month’s Gal Pals are Kim Thatcher, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Edan Evans de Roziere, and Rebecca Berfanger.
- Get-to-know-you question: If you could meet any person of American history who would it be?
- Some of the answers mentioned are Sojourner Truth, Abraham Lincoln, Josephine Baker, Bayard Rustin, and James Baldwin.
- Edan’s 1 cool thing is her Great-Grandfather, the playwright, Willis Richardson.
- Paved the way for Lorraine Hansbury of A Raisin in the Sun
- Willis was born in Wilmington, NC and moved to Washington D.C.
- W.E.B. DuBois was a big fan of his work.
- Willis was the first African-American to have a non-musical play on Broadway in 1922 The Chip Woman’s Fortune.
- He was awarded posthumously the AUDELCO “Viv” Award for his contributions to American theater.
- Willis Richardson Players in Wilmington, NC perform his work on stage.
- His work can be seen at the National Museum of African American History and Culture as well as Howard University.
- More on the history of the 1898 Race Riot of Wilmington, NC from The Atlantic
- Book: Willis Richarson, Forgotten Pioneer of African-American Drama by Christine R. Gray.
- Come meet Edan! Edan is our special speaker for the 2/28/19 Gal’s Guide meeting Edan will be talking about Genealogy, DNA and Black History.
- Next week is Kim’s 1 Cool Black History Thing.
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.