Okay, strap in because we’re going on a wild ride. Dr. Leah Leach is gonna tell ya about Florence Harding, not only the wife to the 29th President Warren G. Harding, but she was a feminist, knew how to operate a movie camera, flew in airplanes before Amelia Earnhardt set any records, and she might have killed her husband. The gals also talk about some of the reasons American’s haven’t seen a woman president yet. YET.
Show Notes & Extras
- Gal-pals are Dr. Leah Leach, Katie Harris, Bonnie Fillenwarth and Debbi Sponsler. The gals have already talked about Michelle Obama.
- Get-to-know-you question – why haven’t we had a female president?
- Ready for a wild ride? Leah’s 1 cool First Lady is Florence Harding.
- First Lady from 1921-1923
- Warren G. Harding was the 29th President of the United States
- Feminist/suffragist fun
- Invited Marie Curie to the White House
- Political platforms
- Important friends Evalyn Mclean (she’s wearing the cursed Hope Diamond)
- Hope Diamond (more info from The Smithsonian)
- How Warren and Florence met
- Battle Creek Santorum connection (Kelloggs) (Movie Road to Wellville)
- “He does well when he listens to me and he does poorly when he does not” Florence Harding about her husband
- John Oliver connection!!!! Last Week Tonight has multiple episodes about Warren G. Harding “Harding” “Harding’s Child” “Wax Presidents Trailer” “The Wax and the Furious”
- How Florence dealt with affairs – the Supernatural!!
- How President Warren G. Harding died
- “The Voyage of Understanding”
- Teapot Dome Scandal
- Alaska spat
- Bad shellfish
- Two feuding doctors
- Somebody left their heart in San Francisco
- “I Vote for Syphilis!” mention (Mark that on your bingo card!)
- The death of a President
- “Jerry” poetry discovery
- More poetry from the Library of Congress
- Support our crowdfunder! We’re raising money oniFundWomen to build a pop up library during women’s history month!
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.