Katie talks about a gal who went to college at age 16 and became a renowned child psychologist. Learn about the bonds between infants and care-givers because of the work of Mary Ainsworth. The gal pals also talk about donating their body to science or becoming a diamond, a coral reef, a tree or a record!
Show Notes & Extras
- The gal pals this month are: Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and Lisa Meece.
- Bonnie previously talked about science gal Alice Ball.
- Get-to-know-you question: Would you donate your body to science when you die?
- Green Burial (More info from Everplans.com)
- Leah becomes an organ donor
- Turn yourself into a tree, a diamond, a coral reef, a record!
- Smoke Gets In Your Eyes by Caitlyn Doughty (Amazon Smile)
- Mary Roach books (Gal’s Guide has a few) (Amazon Smile)
- Katie’s Last Will & Testament
- Katie’s 1 Cool Science Thing is child psychologist Mary Ainsworth
- Attachment theory
- Background on Mary going from America to Canada
- Pop Quiz! Who was the U.S. President in 1913
- Mary was an early reader of “appropriate books”
- Mary’s mom was jealous that Mary was close to her father
- Maybe that’s why Mary’s research later was too focused on the mother?
- CLARIFICATION: The book was Character and the Conduct of Life: Practical Psychology for Everyman by William McDougall
- Mary went to college at age 16
- Dissertation “An Evaluation of Adjustment Based on the Concept of Security” (Google Book Link)
- Canadian Women’s Army Corps 1942
- Taught personality psychology in Toronto
- Rorschach Test! (More info on the Rorschach Inkblot test from Very Well Mind)
- London! Uganda!
- Naturalistic study on the attachment of infants and mothers in Uganda
- Mary’s Book Infancy in Uganda (Amazon Smile)
- Back in the U.S.A
- Trying to get a promotion at Johns Hopkins
- 1965 study “The Strange Situation”
- 3 Attachment Styles
- More info on the Attachment Styles including a video from SimplePsychology.org
- Protege, Mary Main, came up with a 4th style
- Books (Amazon Smile)
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.