The gal-pals plan a “what if” trip before Klaire shares her very cool thing about the dedication of the Statue of Liberty where the only gal who could come was apparently 305 feet tall, French, and a personification of a woman. So Matilda Joslyn Gage and her friends stage a protest on a boat! Learn more about this radical suffragette.
- We’re back on Zoom so that means the YouTube has live video of our silly and beautiful faces!
- There are 5 Mondays in August so there is 5 gal-pals!
- The gal pals this month are Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris, Edan, and Klaire Lockheart
- Get to know you question – if we were not in the middle of a pandemic and you could travel to any women’s historical site, where would you go?
- Alice Paul Institute
- CORRECTION Leah meant the Belmont-Paul Monument
- Union Seminary in Wilberforce, Ohio
- Women’s Museum of California
- Tennessee’s Women’s Suffrage Monument by the Parthenon
- Occoquan Workhouse
- Arlington Cemetery to see Zitkala-Sa’s grave
- Her Flag Project that Bonnie & Klaire are part of!
- About the Statue of Liberty
- Personification of liberty as a woman
- America’s first personification was Columbia (pictures below)
- October 28, 1886 dedication of the Statue of Liberty
- NO WOMEN PERMITTED ON THE ISLAND
- New York Women’s State Suffrage Association
- Lillie Devereux Blake & Matilda Joslyn Gage made a statement
- Protest on a cattle barge!
- Matilda Joslyn Gage defines “people”
- South Dakota shout outs to Mamie Shields Pyle & Jane E. Waldron
- Born Criminal book by Angelica Shirley Carpenter
- More on Matilda
- Overlooked by history because of 1,2,3, things
- Critical of Christianity (you know the women don’t have souls thing, and the age of consent thing)
- Busy gal
- One of the founder’s of the National Woman Suffrage Association
- Arrested for trying to register to vote
- Adopted by the Mohawk Nation
- Radical Suffragist
- Discussion on the Statue of Liberty Protest
Support the Show
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.