Author of Women Warriors, Pamela Toler, tells us the fascinating tale of the Women’s Battalion of Death lead by Maria Botchkareva. The Gal Pals also ask if you can conform and rebel at the same time.
- We are on Zoom ’cause COVID
- The Gal Pals for January are, Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and Pamela Toler
- Get to know you question – Can you rebel and conform at the same time?
- Pamela’s awesome books (PamelaToler.com, History in the Margins, Gal’s Guide Library )
- A little history of women in wartime
- 15 all-female battalions in Russia
- Maria Botchkareva
- “Why don’t you write to the Czar?”
- 4th Company of the 25th Battalion
- Fighting fellow soldiers as well as the enemy
- Maria was wounded 3 times
- St. George Cross
- 1917 everything changed – free & equal citizens
- Formation of all women military units
- WW1 was really horrible for Russia
- Maria recruited 2,000 women
- Success before running our of ammunition
- Inspired more units
- Bolshevik Revolution
- Women were charged as counter revolutionaries
- Marie went to President Wilson
- Shout out to the Edith Wilson episode
- UPDATE – couldn’t find the Drunk History episode that talks about Maria.
- Jellyfish appears
- Check out Pamela’s book Women Warriors for more great stories!
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.
Subscribe on iTunes, YouTube, Podbean, iheartradio, Spotify, Amazon Music, Stitcher.and more