It’s the start of Season 3 of the Gal’s Guide Guide Podcast!! We are starting off – what can only be an amazing year – celebrating rebel gals. We are joined this month by author and history nerd, Pamela Toler! Bonnie Fillenwarth starts us off with a Chinese feminist revolutionary who founded a girls’ school and was arrested for a plot to overthrow the government.
Oh, it’s so good to have this show back! Every Monday in January is a new rebel gal.
- Start of Season 3!!!!!
- We are on Zoom ’cause COVID
- The Gal Pals for January are, Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and Pamela Toler
- Bonnie’s awesome artwork (ETSY)
- Katie’s awesome book club (Gal’s Guide)
- Pamela’s awesome books (PamelaToler.com, History in the Margins, Gal’s Guide Library )
- Bonnie’s 1 Cool Rebel Gal is Qiu Jin
- Taught to read and write
- Well off family
- 13 year old poet
- Arranged marriage
- 1903 Beijing – lots going on in China at the time
- Women’s reform
- Stopped binding her feet
- School for women in Japan
- Learned bombmaking and marksmanship
- Returned to China
- Wore western men’s clothing
- Underground society
- Women’s journal
- Founded a girls school
- Arrested for a plot to overthrow the government
- Executed by beheading a few days after her arrest
- “Don’t tell me women are not the stuff of heroes” – Qiu Jin
- After her death
- Her old home is a museum
- Harriet Tubman with a riffle
- Bonnie’s method for picking her rebel gal
- Anyone have a book of Qiu Jin’s poetry? The library would love to have add it to our collection.
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.