It’s the start of Season 3 of the Gal’s Guide Guide Podcast!! We are starting off – what can only be an amazing year – celebrating rebel gals. We are joined this month by author and history nerd, Pamela Toler! Bonnie Fillenwarth starts us off with a Chinese feminist revolutionary who founded a girls’ school and was arrested for a plot to overthrow the government.
Oh, it’s so good to have this show back! Every Monday in January is a new rebel gal.
- Start of Season 3!!!!!
- We are on Zoom ’cause COVID
- The Gal Pals for January are, Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and Pamela Toler
- Bonnie’s awesome artwork (ETSY)
- Katie’s awesome book club (Gal’s Guide)
- Pamela’s awesome books (PamelaToler.com, History in the Margins, Gal’s Guide Library )
- Bonnie’s 1 Cool Rebel Gal is Qiu Jin
- Taught to read and write
- Well off family
- 13 year old poet
- Arranged marriage
- 1903 Beijing – lots going on in China at the time
- Women’s reform
- Stopped binding her feet
- School for women in Japan
- Learned bombmaking and marksmanship
- Returned to China
- Wore western men’s clothing
- Underground society
- Women’s journal
- Founded a girls school
- Arrested for a plot to overthrow the government
- Executed by beheading a few days after her arrest
- “Don’t tell me women are not the stuff of heroes” – Qiu Jin
- After her death
- Her old home is a museum
- Harriet Tubman with a riffle
- Bonnie’s method for picking her rebel gal
- Anyone have a book of Qiu Jin’s poetry? The library would love to have add it to our collection.
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.
Subscribe on iTunes, YouTube, Podbean, iheartradio, Spotify, Amazon Music, Stitcher. and more