Katie Harris has a knack for picking a great book! A leader (and treasured unicorn) of Gal’s Guide Book Club Katie will handpick a book that fits into our research theme for the month. Selections might be fiction, they might be nonfiction.
We will meet on the last Thursday of every month at 8pm. Because of our wide reach, we’re still looking at using Zoom to meet.
We are a no-pressure book club, you don’t have to read the full book to participate. You do however have to sign up.
For Book Club
May Book Selection
Science Gals Month
Thursday, May 26 at 8pm On Zoom
by Richard Rhodes
A remarkable story of science history: how a ravishing film star and an avant-garde composer invented spread-spectrum radio, the technology that made wireless phones, GPS systems, and many other devices possible.
Beginning at a Hollywood dinner table, Hedy’s Folly tells a wild story of innovation that culminates in U.S. patent number 2,292,387 for a “secret communication system.” Along the way, Rhodes weaves together Hollywood’s golden era, the history of Vienna, 1920s Paris, weapons design, music, a tutorial on patent law and a brief treatise on transmission technology. Narrated with the rigor and charisma we’ve come to expect of Rhodes, it is a remarkable narrative adventure about spread-spectrum radio’s genesis and unlikely amateur inventors collaborating to change the world.
Available at the Gal’s Guide Library
June Book Selection
Thursday, June 30 at 8pm on Zoom
- Untamed by Glennon Doyle
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer
- The Story of More by Hope Jarhen
- The House of Pendragon: The Firebrand by Debra A. Kemp
- Gorge by Kara Richardson Whitely
- Baby Conqures the World by Rich & Sandra Neil Wallace
- It’s What I do by Lynsey Addario
- The Women’s Hour by Elaine Weiss
- Queens of Animation by Nathalia Holt
- The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich
- In the Time of Butterflies by Julia Alvarez
- Georgia: a novel by Dawn Tripp
- The Awakened Woman by Dr. Terari Trent