Leah wraps up Olympic month by taking us back in time to 776 B.C. to the time of the Heraean Game (AKA Girl Olympics) where running with a boob out what a challenge! Leah also brings up loopholes so the ladies play with the oil-drenched guys and then talks about how all the nakedness was ruined and the party was cancelled for 1500 years. She gets us up to speed on when women could join the Olympics whether they knew they were competing or not. Totally NSFW but funny episode.
Show Notes & Extras
- Gal Pals this month are – Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris, Leah Leach and Edan.
- Bonnie has already talked about Gertrude Ederle, Edan already talked about Surya Bonaly and Katie talked about Lottie Dod.
- Get to know you question – What is more important to you being recognized for something you’ve done well or being recognized for having done your best?
- Mc Kayla Maroney side-face (pic below)
- Subjective award giving
- Leah’s 1 Cool Olympic Thing is the Heraean Games
- Women’s Olympics also called the Games of Hera
- 776 B.C.E.
- Refresher on Ancient Olympics
- Zeus is back and we talk about the swan again
- Goddess Demeter – who gave birth to a flying horse
- Olympiad means 4 year cycle
- Gods don’t eat food yet humans sacrifice animals
- Free Greek males in the nude and oil
- Women didn’t have a lot of rights at this time
- Games of Hera
- Pausanias – guy who wrote about the games
- Leah makes it dirty
- Running track
- Running with a boob out
- Chariot owners = loophole
- Women get into the men’s Olympic games!
- Kyniska, daughter of the Spartan King the 396 B.C. games
- Why the Ancient Games ended
- 1500 year break before the Modern Games
- 1896 Olympics restarted – but it’s weird
- 1900 women could enter in 5 sports
- Margaret Ives Abbot – an art student from Chicago – won in golf, making her the first American Women Olympic Champion but she died not knowing she even won.
- First woman to ever win in the Modern Games that is Helene de Pourtales, she won in a sailing team.
- The first solo female was Charlotte Cooper in Tennis.
- 1904 in St. Louis World Fair
- 1908 London
- WW1 & WW2
- So many records are still being made each Olympics
- 1932 National Anthem
- Sending athletes
- Gal’s Guide PSA – Don’t go running without the appropriate sports bra
- Next month is Photography Gals!
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.