It’s the start of Photography Month at Gal’s Guide and Bonnie starts us off with an image that took thousands of terabytes of data to produce – it’s the first image of a black hole! Bonnie talks about Dr. Katie Bouman the adorkable face of the team that made the impossible, possible!
Show Notes & Extras
- New research theme – Photography Gals!
- This month’s Gal-Pals are: Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and Jenn Berk
- Jenn was on Dirty Dancing episode of Kate’s Take!
- Bonnie’s 1 Cool Photographer Gal is Dr. Katie Bouman
- In 2019 she and her team photographed a black hole
- Born in West Lafayette (Yay for an Indiana gal!)
- Mathematical Science
- We ask Bonnie too many questions at the start
- “I reached too much nerd” Leah
- Ted Talks (videos below)
- It’s a team sport!
- The science behind the photo
- A telescope the size of Earth or…
- Computational telescope
- 4-5 teams with their own images based on the data
- Thousands of terabytes of data
- Margaret Hamilton comparison (picture below)
- Black hole picture (below)
- Not just a pretty picture
- It’s moving!
- 4 days in the life
- Dad taught at Purdue
- U of M and MIT
- NASA Library for Gal’s Guide (hopefully)
- CLARRIFICATION: M87 is the name of the black hole
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.
Subscribe on iTunes, YouTube, Podbean, iheartradio, Spotify, Amazon Music, Stitcher.and more