It’s the start of Photography Month at Gal’s Guide and Bonnie starts us off with an image that took thousands of terabytes of data to produce – it’s the first image of a black hole! Bonnie talks about Dr. Katie Bouman the adorkable face of the team that made the impossible, possible!
Show Notes & Extras
- New research theme – Photography Gals!
- This month’s Gal-Pals are: Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and Jenn Berk
- Jenn was on Dirty Dancing episode of Kate’s Take!
- Bonnie’s 1 Cool Photographer Gal is Dr. Katie Bouman
- In 2019 she and her team photographed a black hole
- Born in West Lafayette (Yay for an Indiana gal!)
- Mathematical Science
- We ask Bonnie too many questions at the start
- “I reached too much nerd” Leah
- Ted Talks (videos below)
- It’s a team sport!
- The science behind the photo
- A telescope the size of Earth or…
- Computational telescope
- 4-5 teams with their own images based on the data
- Thousands of terabytes of data
- Margaret Hamilton comparison (picture below)
- Black hole picture (below)
- Not just a pretty picture
- It’s moving!
- 4 days in the life
- Dad taught at Purdue
- U of M and MIT
- NASA Library for Gal’s Guide (hopefully)
- CLARRIFICATION: M87 is the name of the black hole
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.