Hamilton East Public Library (HEPL)
Serves Noblesville & Fishers, Indiana residents.
4 of the 7 board of Trustees members have ignored public needs and censored children’s books that include LGBTQ+ characters. 4 of 7 board members used taxpayer money to fund a second-opinion lawyer to get around the First Amendment. This mission is to censor more books with the use of the Collection Development Policy.
The current library lawyer resigned on 12/15/22. HEPL currently has no on-staff lawyer.
For the last year, the community has been witness to the hate, ignorance, and nefariousness that the board of trustees has been brewing. A large scope of the community has been attending these meetings, calling them on their potentially illegal and unwanted action. But the majority of the board chooses to be ignorant of the needs of the community they serve.
What is important to note is that the HEPL Library Director and her staff are not the problem. HEPL is doing a fantastic job of inclusion, abiding by the First Amendment, following the law, upholding the Library Bill of Rights, and making sure parents have access to any book that they want for their kids. Its 4 members of the trustees that are trying to change the way public libraries work with extremely-limited knowledge of how libraries work.
Who are the board members?
LAURA ALERDING, President email@example.com
MICHELLE PAYNE, Vice President (stands up for LGBTQ books) firstname.lastname@example.org
DR. RAY MADDALONE, Secretary email@example.com
CRAIG SIEBE, Treasurer (stands up for first Amendment law) firstname.lastname@example.org
TIFFANIE A.H. DITLEVSON TiffanieD@talktotucker.com
MICAH BECKWITH email@example.com
ANDRE MIKSHA (stands up for LGBTQ books) firstname.lastname@example.org
Get Caught Up
Minutes from SPECIAL meeting in August
Minutes from December (Not Yet Available)
Previous and Post minutes can be found here
- January 5, 2023, Rebecca Fending, Libray amends policy, moves children’s book to adult section
Letters to the editor of the Hamilton Reporter
- September 29, Lisa Fero, Fishers reader has questions about HEPL board appointment
- September 18, Chad Carmicheal, Fishers reader has grave concerns about leadership at Hamilton East Public Library
- September 21, Edra Waterman, HEPL Director: claims in recent letter are untrue
- July 16, Ray Maddalone Fishers reader: HSE Schools marching down ‘woke’ path
Indy Star Articles
- February 7, 2022 MJ Slaby, What sex education books are appropriate for teens?: Debate moves to Hamilton East library
- February 25, 2022 MJ Slaby, Hamilton East Public Library splits up teen section
- October 11, 2022 John Tuohy, Hamilton East library board choice sparks furor: Critics question process, say conservative pastor will try to ban books
Chad Carmichael’s Blog
- December 5, 2021, Porn for Kids in the Hamilton East Public Library
- September 21, 2021 Library Board Meeting: Thursday, 9/22
Come to the January 26th Trustees Meeting and talk about the definition of censorship. The meeting is held at the Fisher’s Library at 6:15pm. To speak you need to sign in at the door before 6:15pm or you will not be permitted to speak.