Kate talks about one of her favorite movies, Casablanca. In this episode, Kate covers how this classic didn’t have the greatest of beginnings and wasn’t destined to be a classic but how it became one. Themes of love, betrayal, corruption, neutrality, and cynicism on the backdrop of World War II.
- Bergman Interview on the script: https://youtu.be/SBtO7MHJFoY
- Essay comparison of Stage Play to screenplay: http://p-mi.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/Essay_Casablanca.pdf
- 75th Anniversary from CBS News: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv0Eo5-LHhk
- What’s So Great About Casablanca: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC_kfwa5-kg
- Casablanca interviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeqA7R8TSoM
- Henry Rollins tearing apart Dr. Seuss https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_k5WBwUUjQ
- Theme and Motifs in Casablanca http://www.sparknotes.com/film/casablanca/themes.html
Filmmaker Kate Chaplin takes a film that has influenced her life for good, bad or ugly and dissects it to show YOU the hidden lessons within movies. This five-time-award-winning show appeared on D20crit from 2013-2015. New episodes coined “Reloaded” were produced by Gal’s Guide from 2016-2017. Many of the shows have been lost to the digital dust (yet somehow still on Google Play) but keep an eye out for our Flashback Friday Episodes on the Gal’s Guide Podcast.
- Most Entertaining – 2016 INDYpodnet Awards
- Best Audio Quality & Editing – 2016 INDYpodnet Awards
- Most Entertaining – 2015 INDYpodnet Awards
- Rookie of the Year – 2015 INDYpodnet Awards
- Best Coverage of a Geek Event – 2015 INDYpodnet Awards