Step aside Al Gore, because Bonnie read a book with a pun in the title all about how so many women made the internet! Learn about the women who invented computer programming and hyperlinks. Learn who decided early computers would be oatmeal color and why we use the term “computer bug” Spoilers! It’s all women!!! We’re tapping into the motherboard on Ep 23 of Gal’s Guide to the Galaxy Podcast!
Show Notes & Extras:
- This month’s gal-pals are Bonnie Fillenwarth, Dr. Leah Leach and Katie Harris. Catch up on Episode 22.
- Get-to-know-you question: What skill would you like to master?
- How grammar can challenge your whole existence.
- Book: Broad Band: The Untold Story of the Women Who Made the Internet by Claire L. Evans.
- Ada Lovelace coverage of Your Gal Friday Podcast
- Grace Hopper – keep your eyes on Bonnie’s Etsy site for the newest artwork of this computer pioneer!
- Stacy Horn – creator of ECHO (East Coast Hang Out) that was super female-friendly.
- Nancy Rein of The Well and Women’s WIRE (Women’s Information Resource Exchange)
- Purple Moon video game developed by women.
- The very last AOL free trial disc, article by Mental Floss.
- 50 women worked on the ENIAC computer. More on the supercomputer at ComputerHistory.org
- Magnetized tape vs punch card
- Our AMAZON WISH LIST (sorry we are not subtle)
- Betty Holberton and the iconic oatmeal beige computer color.
- First ever Bug in the system.
- Grace Hopper on Letterman YouTube link
- Crash Course Computer Science with Carrie Anne Philbin. YouTube link.
- Bonnie’s Ada Lovelace Art. Available on Etsy.
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.