After medical emergencies, car accidents, and hormone ragers the gal pals are back! They talk about why they vanished for a short while – no, it wasn’t Thanos – it was Leah’s battle with fibroids. Upwards of 80% of women develop fibroids and this is Leah’s experience. So buckle in because the gals are talking about something that many women think they have to deal with alone.
Show Notes & Extras:
- This month’s Gal Pals are Dr. Leah Leach, Katie Harris, and Bonnie Fillenwarth.
- Why we’ve been on break
- Leah’s car accident
- Tiramisu metaphor thanks to Macklemore’s song “Downtown“.
- 20%-80% of women develop fibroids before age 50 according to the Office on Women’s Health.
- Shingles! The sidebar!
- Talking about weird periods – trying to fight stigma for something that 51% of the population go through for 50 years of their lives.
- Common symptoms of fibroids
- Leah’s experience
- Overcoming the shame
- Anemia: does anyone care about it?
- Fighting for your own health
- Book Leah Mentions: The First Year of Fibroids by Johanna Skilling
- Options for dealing with fibroids
- Menopause twice???
- Bonnie’s Medical Word Song
- Don’t let these little bastards shame you. You’re not alone. Talk about it!
- Got advice for bad periods? Let us know in the comments
- Mood, Music, periods. What songs would you want on a period playlist?
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.