Helen Thomas was a trailblazer for women in the White House Press Core serving from the Kennedy administration until the Obama Administration. Katie tells the story of the rise and fall of this fierce journalist that dared JFK to be better, found her own voice, and how she upset George Bush Jr so much she was sent to the back of the press room. We’ve got the first question ready on this episode of Gal’s Guide to the Galaxy Podcast.
Show Notes & Extras:
- This month’s gal-pals are Bonnie Fillenwarth, Dr. Leah Leach and Katie Harris. Catch up on Episode 22 and Episode 23.
- Get-to-know-you question: What are some small things that make your day better?
- Jelly Belly factory tour info.
- Send Bonnie RUNTS.
- Katie has been fiancé’d!!!
- Katie’s 1 Cool Thing is journalist, Helen Thomas
- The movie Dave, with Kevin Kline
- Books: Helen Thomas’ books on Amazon
- From JFK to Obama, she’s the First Lady of the Journalism
- Helen’s upbringing
- Fighting her way into Men Only clubs
- Groundbreaking and trailblazing feats
- Daring JFK
- “Thank you, Mr. President” her trademark phrase
- Her later controversy
- The double standard for women
- Quote: “I censored myself for 50 years when I was a reporter. Now I wake up and ask myself, ‘Who do I hate today?’ ” – Helen Thomas
- Stuffing down your own thoughts and opinions
- If she was still alive during the Trump administration
- Peter O’Toole biography mentioned
- Helen on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart talking about JFK
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.
Subscribe on iTunes, YouTube, Podbean, Stitcher. Google Play and more