What do Old Spice, Apple, Geico have in common? There are all ways that Leah found to introduce our gal-pals Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and 16-year-old new-comer Kami Leach. After paying tribute to the amazing ladies of advertising, Bonnie starts off Advertising Month by talking about the eye-opening documentary Miss Representation and what it says about how advertising changes our culture and how we see ourselves.
Show Notes & Extras:
- This month’s Gal Pals are Dr. Leah Leach, Katie Harris, Bonnie Fillenwarth and 16-year-old Kami Leach (yes, she’s Leah’s daughter)
- Katie’s dream share
- Bonnie’s new pin and calendar are available for pre-order!
- Advertising Month intro featuring a hat tip to Mathilde C. Weil, Helen Lansdowne, The League of Advertising Women and Neddy McGrath (first female art director).
- Bonnie’s 1 Cool Advertising Thing is the documentary Miss Representation.
- Teens consume 10 hours a week of media on average. (It’s probably way up since 2011)
- Women and men struggle with eating disorders where media plays a large part.
- Photoshop is an unachievable standard but you do get this funny fail on occasion.
- Cats trailer slight sidebar. You can’t unsee it but it’s here
- Margaret Cho replaced by Drew Carey?
- Political Efficacy
- Women as objects in movies and ads
- Progress is slow but women in congress has gone from 11% to 19% from 2011-2019.
- 16% of protagonists are female
- Rachel Maddow connection!
- JcPenny Catalog – AKA Katie’s new family
- Real body struggles
- Iceland trip with family naked bonding time. An eye-opener in more ways than one!
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.
Subscribe on iTunes, YouTube, Podbean, Stitcher. Google Play and more
One reply on “Miss Representation”
[…] The previous episode was Miss Representation […]