The gal-pals finish up LGBT month talking about political commentator Rachel Maddow. Kim’s 1 Cool LGBT Thing showcases why representation matters in all aspects of life. The gal-pals also talk about the amazing men and women who have come out to them and how they showed support and became an ally – even if one out-friend did steal Katie’s clarinet. Katie really wants that clarinet back BTW.
Show Notes & Extras:
- Looking for our other gal’s 1 Cool LGBT thing? Check out Leah’s on comedian Moms Mabley, Katie’s on the idea of two moms, and Bonnie’s on silent film actress Alla Nazimova.
- Get-to-know-you question: Who’s the first person you personally knew that was openly gay and how did that affect you and your relationship with them?
- Cheerleading, supporting, and clarinets.
- Kim’s 1 cool LGBT thing is about political commentator for MSNBC Rachel Maddow.
- She has her own show, The Rachel Maddow Show on TV as well as on radio.
- She is the first openly lesbian anchor to host a major prime-time news program in the United States.
- She was named in Out Magazine’s Out 100 in 2008.
- She went to Standford University.
- When awarded a Rhodes Scholarship she got her doctorate at the University of Oxford.
- She’s known more for the topics she chooses to cover on her show.
- Leah mentioned the documentary Miss Representation. We found the clip. (Rachel is at the 2-minute mark)
- Rachel’s book is Drift. Don’t forget that Amazon Smile to support Gal’s Guide!
- (Sorry Leah’s Cat is meowing in the background around this part in the show.)
- The bellows metaphor is from the book: DIY Rules for a WTF World: How to Speak Up, Get Creative, and Change the World by Krista Suh.
- The suicide rate is 5x for an LGB youth than heterosexual youth. Source Trevor Project.
- Being a visible member of lesbian society matters.
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.