The margaritas have kicked in as the gal-pals let their geek flags fly and talk about movie universes they would love to be in before rooting for syphilis to take out an abusive father. Bonnie’s 1 Cool LGBT Thing is about actress Alla Nazimova who was paid more than Mary Pickford, had a theater and hotel named after her and had a large number of female relationships that spanned the silver screen to the presidency.
Show Notes & Extras:
- Looking for our other gal’s 1 Cool LGBT thing? Check out Leah’s on comedian Moms Mabley, and Katie’s on the idea of two moms.
- Get-to-know-you question: What game or movie universe would you most like to live in?
- We let our geek flags fly and wonder if any of our universe picks would put Bonnie’s art skills to use? How much does Disney want our geek money?
- Bonnie’s 1 Cool LGBT Thing is Alla Nazimova: actress in theater and early film.
- “My ambition is not to make my audience laugh or cry, I want to feel that when they go away I have made them think.” – Alla Nazimova
- Book Nazimova by Gavin Lambert
- Her father wanted to make a pill to replace food. Katie is not onboard!
- Her father was horrible and even broke her arm over a report card.
- Her parents finally get divorced but she’s sent to her aunt and uncle.
- How can you tell a woman is a city whore?
- Dad comes back with a new wife and new step-siblings.
- Maybe it’s Syphilis.
- Alla’s sent to a boarding school the students call her the “anti-Christ” and ironically she school burns down.
- Alla joins a theater school where she has relationships with women but to pay the bills, she’s dabbling in prostitution.
- “I vote for Syphilis!” -Leah (T-shirt coming soon)
- Joins a theater company
- “You remind me of my first love” the only English words you need to know.
- Affairs and murders.
- Signs a contract with Shubert brothers
- Great success in Henrik Ibsen plays.
- CORRECTION: In trying to land on Sarah Bernhardt’s name Clara Bow (not Clara Barton) was a silent-film star “It Girl”.
- She has a theater named after her.
- She marries Charles Brant but probably still married to a guy in Russia.
- She has an affair with Mercedes de Acosta.
- She starts in film with War Brides
- Was a member of the National Women’s Suffrage Association.
- She has ties to Nancy Regan’s mom.
- Alla was paid more than Mary Pickford.
- Her house on Sunset Boulevard was called “The Garden of Alla” and was eventually turned into a hotel renamed Garden of Allah Hotel.
- She’s created with the term “sewing circle” meaning lesbian and bisexual actresses.
- She (and many Hollywood ladies) were open about their same-sex relationships in a time when you could say “pregnant” in the mail.
- The book is on the Library wishlist! If you would like to buy the book and have it sent to the Gal’s Guide library click here.
- Leah doesn’t bury the lead on her Charlie Chaplin knowledge.
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.