Katie talks about the designer of rockets & missiles for Lockheed Martin! Mary Golda Ross was a shining example of a Cherokee Nation education who reached the stars! We don’t even know the fullest extent of her awesomeness because a lot of her work is still classified to this day. Area 51, anyone?
Show Notes & Extras
- Gal pals this month are – Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and Edan.
- Bonnie already talked about Elizabeth Petratrovich, Edan already talked about Sacheen Littlefeather.
- Get to know you question – who or what is your favorite Indigenous People’s work in movies, TV or books?
- Trailers below for Reservation Dogs and Into the West
- Bonnie’s book she recommends – Spiderwoman’s Web
- Tiamat shout out!
- Katie’s book she recommends is Round House by Louise Erdrich (Gal’s Guide Library)
- Book Club this month is The Night Watchman by by Louise Erdrich (Gal’s Guide Library)
- Guess the Gal time!
- Katie’s 1 Cool Indigenous Gal is Mary Golda Ross
- Early life in 1908 Oklahoma
- Cherokee Engineer
- Lockheed Martin from 1942-1973
- Skunk Works Project
- School in the Cherokee Nation
- Mary is the Great Granddaughter of John Ross (Wikipedia)
- Mary got a BA in Math and her teaching degree
- Mary got her Masters in Colorado
- When WW2 came the advice was “Go to Cailfornia”
- Lockheed Martin
- Designer of fighter planes, rockets and missiles
- Space Race
- What’s My Line TV show (clip below)
- Retirement going back to her roots
- Hidden Figure!
- Opening of the National Museum of American Indian
- Family calls her “Gold”
- $1 coin (picture below)
- Google Doodle (picture below)
- Wilma Mankiller shout out!
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.
Subscribe on iTunes, YouTube, Podbean, iheartradio, Spotify, Amazon Music, Stitcher.and more…