This week we are bringing out the maps and pins to learning about the Indiana Women’s History Trail thanks to Katie’s 1 cool women’s history thing. Gal pals, Leah, Bonnie, Josh, and Katie also talk about radium, and other things we took a while to learn were toxic, while we sip Diet Coke – it will all make sense in a when you hit play on this week’s Episode #20 of Gal’s Guide to the Galaxy Podcast. Now with Olestra!
Show Notes & Extras:
- This month’s Gal Pals are Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Joshua Leach, and Katie Harris. Catch up on Episode 18, Episode 19
- Get-to-know-you question: What’s one place, women’s history related, that you would like to visit before you die?
- Places mentioned: Women’s Museum of California, Seneca Falls, Hull House, Radium Girl Statue
- What foods or treatments that we use today would humans in the future find toxic and ridiculous?
- Katie’s 1 Cool Thing is about Indiana Women’s History Trail
- Indy Star article referenced and mentioned.
- Catharine Merrill, the second female faculty member in the nation
- Zerelda G. Wallace, the wife of Indiana Governor and women’s voting rights advocate
- Lillian Thomas Fox, an African-American journalist that also open Oak Hill Camp
- Mary Cable, an African-American educator who started the Indianapolis chapter of the NAACP
- Luella Smith McWhirter, Suffragette who was on the board of the Peoples Bank & Trust Co
- Lovina McCarthy Streight, who went to the Civil War with her husband and young son. She was called the “Mother of the 51st.”
- Sarah Bolton, a poet of “Paddle Your Own Canoe” and “Indiana”
- Many of these ladies are buried at Crown Hill Cemetary
- Shout out to the Clara Barton Drunk History segment. Abracadabra! See a clip here
- Next week is Leah’s 1 Cool Women’s History Thing!
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.