Katie rebels and brings research, statistics, and insight to start a lively discussion on how helpful or harmful romantic comedies are for real relationships. The gal-pals also travel back in time and ask the existential question, “Is a hot dog a sandwich?”
Show Notes & Extras:
- Gal Pals this month are Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris, and Denise Jaeckel.
- Looking for Bonnie’s 1 Cool Movie Thing on Kathleen Shannon?
- Get-to-know-you question: If you could go back in time what year would you travel to? Bonus points if you can answer why you would like that era filmed?
- Leah’s 9th Great Grandfather was featured in Ripley’s Beleive it or Not, 1935. “The Daddy of the Revolution – Conrad Countryman gave 26 sons and grandsons to General Washinton’s army. One grandson was a ‘tory’.”
- Do you think romantic comedies are bad for women? Katie’s 1 Cool Thing
- “Is a hot dog a sandwich?” Bonnie Fillenwarth
- How romantic comedies impact women’s safety
- From Elite Daily Watching Romantic Comedies Could Actually Be Bad for Women’s Saftey.
- From Australia News Corp. Why Romantic Comedies Are Bad For Women
- Be aware of what you are consuming and how it might impact what you are thinking
- The message of “love conquers all” is at what cost?
- How men are portrayed in movies (surprise, it’s not all great either)
- TV is doing a better job showing the nuances of relationships
- Why hasn’t the rom-com formula changed?
- Huffington Post How Romantic Comedies Are Failing Women (And How to Fix It)
- The strong female character dynamic
- How does rom-coms affect the relationships you do have?
- Star Wars to Outlander
- A real relationship is hard and it’s not perfect. There is no perfect. Only Zuul. 😛
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.