Leah closes out movie month talking about her unexpected role model and weird connection to Carrie Fisher. Hilarious stories about Star Wars, Paul Simon, Debbie Reynolds, and acid-tripping with Cary Grant. You’ll laugh. You’ll cry. You’ll learn why you can’t wear underwear in space.
Show Notes & Extras
- Gal Pals this month are Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris, and Denise Jaeckel.
- Looking for Bonnie’s 1 Cool Movie Thing on Kathleen Shannon or Katie’s on Romantic Comedies or Denise’s Helen Mirren?
- Get-to-know-you question: if you could make up an Oscar category that you would be a shoe-in to win, what would it be and what would be your acceptance speech?
- Leah’s 1 Cool Movie Thing is Carrie Fisher
- Leah’s history with movie obsession
- The Leah Leach/Kate Chaplin name change thing
- Carrie Fisher’s parents, Debbie Reynolds & Eddie Fisher
- CORRECTION: Elizabeth Taylor was married 8 times not 9
- How Carrie Fisher would be cast as Princess Leia IF she lost 10 pounds
- Carrie Fisher has a fight with Paul Simon for 12 years (aka marriage)
- Carrie drug problems (she was very open about it later)
- Carrie diagnoses with Manic Depression/Bi-Polar
- Carrie is in the Abnormal Psychology Textbook!
- Her daughter Billie Lord
- Postcards from the Edge novel and movie
- All of Carrie’s books (Leah’s highly recommends Wishful Drinking and Princess Diarist)
- The ultimate fantasy of slave Leia
- Carrie Fisher’s house. A tour from Good Morning America with Todd Fisher (Carrie’s brother)
- The Bright Lights documentary that aired after Carrie and her mother’s death. Trailer
- The story of why Carrie Fisher couldn’t wear underwear in Star Wars
- Carrie’s death and Leah’s tribute to her
- How she is Leah’s unexpected role model – PREPARE THE KLEENEX!
- The film Leah/Kate Chaplin wrote and produced loosely based on her experiences of never getting her name said right. Leah Not Leia.
- The Cary Grant story!!! Thank goodness there was time.
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.