Denise talks about Dame Helen Mirren as leads a fantastic conversation on ageism in Hollywood. Why is it that male actors over 40 get 80% of the leading roles? Why is it that actresses have their resume tossed aside if it reads over 40? We’re answering the world’s problems but we’re also not sure if Hot in Cleveland is still on air. Someone call Betty White stat!!
Show Notes & Extras:
- Gal Pals this month are Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris, and Denise Jaeckel.
- Looking for Bonnie’s 1 Cool Movie Thing on Kathleen Shannon or Katie’s on Romantic Comedies?
- Get-to-know-you question: What is a popular movie that you just don’t get or see its appeal?
- Denise does recommend Blindspotting.
- Denise’s 1 Cool Movie Thing is Helen Mirren and ageism in Hollywood.
- After the age of 40 male actors get 80% of the leading roles. Source
- “Last F**kable Day” from Inside Amy Schumer. Uncensored video.
- Helen Mirren has been in 134 movies.
- Hot in Cleveland ended in 2015 BTW.
- The casting couch
- Calendar Girls vs. The Full Monty
- What is Sexiness?
- Sexy older men and Leah’s Peter O’ Toole problem.
- CORRECTION: Peter was 72 years old when he was in Troy not 82 years old.
- Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
- Debate on listing ages on IMDB
- Female broadcasters facing ageism
- Why Leah doesn’t watch the news
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.