It’s the start of medicine month and Leah has a quick story on the history of women in the medical field (AKA how they lead it, were kicked out of it, then encourage to come back to it.) The gal-pals then have a blast talking about the history of menstrual products. Did you know you couldn’t say “period” in advertisements until 1985?!?! Well, we’re talking about how revolutionary the menstrual cup is thanks to Bonnie’s 1 Cool Medical Thing!
Show Notes & Extras:
- Gal Pals this month are Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and Kerra Wagener
- Bonnie’s Etsy store that will eventually have her amazing women’s history calendar
- Katie’s wedding survival
- Indiana Medical History Museum
- Creative Kerra
- Healers, midwives, nurses and eventually doctors; a quick summary of thousands of years of women in medicine
- CORRECTION: Clara Barton started the American Red Cross Chapter, not the Red Cross Organization
- Mary Edwards Walker (not the gal we meant to talk about but she’s cool, learn about her)
- Elizabeth Blackwell, the first female doctor in the United States
- NY Infirmary of women and children that Elizabeth started with her sister is now called the NewYork-Presbyterian Lower Manhattan Hospital
- Bonnie’s 1 Cool Thing is about menstrual cups!
- I wonder if 1 guy will be able to get through this episode?
- Period facts
- NASA asked, “Is 100 tampons enough for a one-week space mission?”
- Maybe that’s why guys should listen to this show
- In 1837 the concept of the menstrual cup formed but it was…beer pong
- In 1937 the first cup was made and invented by Leona Chalmers
- You couldn’t say “Period” in advertisements until 1985!!!!
- Pink Tax (more info)
- Women in prison have trouble getting feminine products (example that is not from Orange is the New Black)
- Meme Time! This one is from Game of Thrones
- What is in pads & tampons?
- Menstrual cups where to find them
- Undercarriage soap?
- You save $$ and there is lest waste
- There is no way guys are still listening to this episode, right?
- How to care for your cup
- Lily cup is collapsible and Bonnie’s favorite
- John Oliver’s Last Week Tonight segment about feminine products (start at 8:45)
- How to use
- Stuff Mom Never Told You videos. Bonnie’s favorites
- Put A Cup In It website that is super helpful with reviews, care advice and FAQ’s
- Sidetrack of weird things nurses and doctors have removed from someone’s body
- Learning channel show Sex Sent Me to the ER story of the naked guy that got thrown out a window by a hooker
- Any guys make it through the episode? We’re proud of you!!!
- Next week is Katie’s 1 Cool Medical Thing!
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.