Katie finished up our research and tribute to authors by talking about a nomadic and creative gal who was like a phoenix from the ashes. From Still I Rise and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Katie tells us the life of Maya Angelou. We also talk about Tupac, life-changing books, Bonnie’s hatred of Passengers, and gateway drugs. It’s a wonderful way to end author gals month!
- We’re in the library this month!
- The gal pals this month are Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris, and Mary Miller.
- Bonnie already talked about Cokie Roberts, Leah talked about Debra Kemp, and Mary talked about Jane Austen.
- Get to know you question – what book has changed your life so much?
- Books Leah wrote as Kate Chaplin The Belief Test, The Celebration Diet, Mythic Waters: Shoki’s Bag, Ingenue Portrait of a Film
- Bonnie talks in third person
- Bonnie talks about dating questions
- Hating on The Passenger
- What about a book?!
- Which Goddess Are You?
- Little House on the Prairie (Gal’s Guide Library)
- Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum (Website)
- Leah changes her answer, To Kill A Mockingbird (Gal’s Guide Library)
- Rebecca movie & book
- The gateway drug to reading is important
- Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
- Mary’s Venn Diagram (In Our Redbubble shop!)
- Katie’s 1 Cool Author Gal…drunk guessing
- Sherry, thesaurus, the Bible, Oh My!
- “Enchant herself”
- It’s Maya Angelou!
- Early days
- Shipping children
- Back to mom
- Jailhouse justice
- Went mute
- Love of reading
- Teacher challenged Maya to talk
- Jim Crow South
- Moved to California
- Trolley car operator
- Married a Greek guy
- MLK & the Southern Leadership Confrence
- Moved to Egypt then Ghana
- Malcom X
- MLK Pray for the Poor project
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Gal’s Guide Library)
- First Black woman to write a screenplay
- 7 Biographies
- Professor at Wake Forrest
- 1993 On The Pulse of the Morning poem for Clinton (link below)
- Grandson was kidnapped for awhile
- Tupac story (better version in the videos below)
- CORRECTION: Not You are bless but she said, “Do you know how important you are?”
- Your Gal Friday episode about Maya – student friendly
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.