Katie finished up our research and tribute to authors by talking about a nomadic and creative gal who was like a phoenix from the ashes. From Still I Rise and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings Katie tells us the life of Maya Angelou. We also talk about Tupac, life-changing books, Bonnie’s hatred of Passengers, and gateway drugs. It’s a wonderful way to end author gals month!
- We’re in the library this month!
- The gal pals this month are Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris, and Mary Miller.
- Bonnie already talked about Cokie Roberts, Leah talked about Debra Kemp, and Mary talked about Jane Austen.
- Get to know you question – what book has changed your life so much?
- Books Leah wrote as Kate Chaplin The Belief Test, The Celebration Diet, Mythic Waters: Shoki’s Bag, Ingenue Portrait of a Film
- Bonnie talks in third person
- Bonnie talks about dating questions
- Hating on The Passenger
- What about a book?!
- Which Goddess Are You?
- Little House on the Prairie (Gal’s Guide Library)
- Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum (Website)
- Leah changes her answer, To Kill A Mockingbird (Gal’s Guide Library)
- Rebecca movie & book
- The gateway drug to reading is important
- Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
- Mary’s Venn Diagram (In Our Redbubble shop!)
- Katie’s 1 Cool Author Gal…drunk guessing
- Sherry, thesaurus, the Bible, Oh My!
- “Enchant herself”
- It’s Maya Angelou!
- Early days
- Shipping children
- Back to mom
- Jailhouse justice
- Went mute
- Love of reading
- Teacher challenged Maya to talk
- Jim Crow South
- Moved to California
- Trolley car operator
- Married a Greek guy
- MLK & the Southern Leadership Confrence
- Moved to Egypt then Ghana
- Malcom X
- MLK Pray for the Poor project
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Gal’s Guide Library)
- First Black woman to write a screenplay
- 7 Biographies
- Professor at Wake Forrest
- 1993 On The Pulse of the Morning poem for Clinton (link below)
- Grandson was kidnapped for awhile
- Tupac story (better version in the videos below)
- CORRECTION: Not You are bless but she said, “Do you know how important you are?”
- Your Gal Friday episode about Maya – student friendly
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.
Subscribe on iTunes, YouTube, Podbean, iheartradio, Spotify, Amazon Music, Stitcher. Google Play and more