Jen shows us how powerful photos can be to empathize. Remember the Migrant Mother photo? Jen talks about the photographer, behind that photo, Dorothea Lange. This is just after Katie talks about her inappropriate scrapbook…because we can’t be serious all the time.
Show Notes & Extras
- This month’s Gal-Pals are: Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and Jenn Berk
- Bonnie already talked about Dr. Katie Bouman, Leah already talked about Pennie Smith
- Get to know you question – do you scrapbook or have photo albums?
- Drawings of Leah’s animals by Bonnie Fillenwarth (picture below)
- Trinity drama
- Leah’s scrapbook
- Label your photos!
- Dog photo time!
- “Katie’s inappropriate Scrapbook”
- Bonnie’s involvement in the Her Flag Project
- Bonnie’s Her Flag Page
- Fellow Gal-Pal Klaire Lockheart’s Her Flag Page
- Bonnie’s Scrapbook of “Non People-ly Things”
- Jen’s 1 Cool Photography Gal is Dorothea Lange
- Great Depression
- “Migrant Mother” is the photo she is famous for (picture below)
- Her as a person
- Father ditched
- Photo session movement
- San Francisco 1918
- Opened her own studio
- Great Depression
- Farm Security Administration
- Magic of photography
- Credited as one of the first documentary photographers
- Dorothea got to know her subjects
- “Migrant Mother” is one of the most reproduced photos
- But marriage fell part
- UPDATE: his name was Maynard Dixon
- 1941 Dorothea got a Guggenheim Fellowship
- War Relocation Authority
- Japanese’s interment camps
- “Pledge of Allegiance” Photo (pictured below)
- Ansel Adams
- Dorothea became a teacher
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.