In our second 1 cool painting thing, Rebecca Berfanger talks about Amy Sherald, the gal who painted the Official White House Portrait of Michelle Obama that captured the imagination of one little girl in particular. Joined by Kim Thatcher, Bonnie Fillenwarth and Dr. Leah Leach, the gals also talk about female and male nudity in painting and presidents who paint.
- We worked on improving the audio, it’s still not where we want it to be.
- This is the second cool thing in the painting series. Check out Episode 10.
- Get-to-know-you question: Do you feel the naked depiction is equal between men and women in art?
- Art mentioned: The Nipple Pinch, Lady Justice depictions, Michelangelo’s David, Rodin’s The Thinker, Sistine Chapel
- Women’s body image in art. The fitness instructor photo essay of beauty standards throughout time was Cassy Ho. Read her story and see the pictures on Today.com
- Guerrilla Girls research and statistics of women in the art world.
- Rebecca’s one cool thing painter Amy Sherald. Rebecca mentions this article from the National Museum of Women in the Arts.
- Amy Sherald is the painter of the Offical Portrait of Michelle Obama. More of the unveiling (including an interview with Amy) in Vanity Fair.
- The story of the little girl (Parker Curry) who first thought Michelle was a queen in the painting and later had a dance party with the First Lady.
- Amy’s Painting The Fairest Of The Not So Fair, 2008
- Kim mentioned a painting called A Second Life, which is an article from the IRAAA Museum but it does feature a biography of Amy and showcase 6 of her paintings.
- Glamour article about the meaning behind Michelle Obama’s dress in the painting.
- Leah mentioned President George Bush Jr paintings of military service members.
- Coming up next is Bonnie’s one cool thing.
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.