In our third 1 cool painting thing, Bonnie Fillenwarth talks about the tragic but brave life of Frida Kahlo. Joined by Kim Thatcher, Rebecca Berfanger and Dr. Leah Leach, the gals also talk about paintings they saw as kids that scared them and gave them a happy place to visit.
- We worked on improving the audio, it’s still not where we want it to be.
- This is the third cool thing in the painting series. Check out Episode 10. Check out Episode 11.
- Get-to-know-you question: What painting from your childhood gives you flashbacks?
- Art mentioned: George Washington portrait, Vincent van Gogh Starry Night, Jackson Pollock, Andy Warhol, M.C. Escher
- George Seurat’s Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte Washington Post article mentioned on its use in Ferris Buller’s Day Off.
- Bonnie’s 1 Cool thing – the life of Frida Kahlo. Learn more at FridaKahlo.org
- Frida got polio at the age of 6
- She wanted to be a doctor and at school, she made fun of the mural painter Diego Rivera (spoilers, she later marries him, more than once)
- Frida’s in a terrible bus accident. While bed-ridden, she paints.
- She has her first exhibition in San Francisco
- Frida’s life is conveyed in her art
- Diego and Frida’s house
- Frida and Josephine Baker might have hooked up!
- Frida is in bed, at the gallery of her first exhibit in Mexico
- Frida has her leg amputated
- 2002 movie Frida starring Selma Hayak
- The Cradle Will Rock movie tangent
- Next week is Leah’s 1 cool painting thing
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.
Subscribe on iTunes, YouTube, Podbean, Stitcher. Google Play and more