In our final 1 cool painting thing, Dr. Leah Leach talks about nameless women in two paintings from a British TV show called Fake or Fortune. Joined by Kim Thatcher, Rebecca Berfanger and Bonnie Fillenwarth, the gals also talk about their favorite female artists and for some reason Salvador Dali’s mustache.
- We worked on improving the audio, it’s still not where we want it to be.
- This is the fourth and final cool thing in the painting series. Check out Episode 10. Check out Episode 11. Check out Episode 12.
- Get-to-know-you question: Who is your favorite female artist?
- Check out Bonnie’s amazing artwork of women of history at BonnieFillenwarth.com
- Georgia O’ Keefe exhibit in Ohio through March 3rd, 2019
- Eva Hesse documentary
- Salvador Dali rabbit hole…and there is more. The gals talked more about Dali than what is in Episode 13 and it’s available for Behind The Scene’s Patrons.
- Lisa Fittipaldi the blind painter.
- Leah’s 1 Cool Thing: Fake or Fortune BBC TV show. Series 7, “A Double Whodunnit”. Clips available from BBC.
- Painting #1 is over 200 years old and over time the names of the two gals start to disappear throughout the ages. The gals are Dido Belle and Lady Elizabeth Finch Hatten. They are cousins.
- Painting #2 is from 1831 called “Two Children” or and it was a mystery of who the painter was even though it was on the painting the entire time reading “E. Jones fecit (painted) 1831”
- Emma Jones painted this to support anti-slavery. Emma was 18 when she painted it. It was radical for its time.
- Can you think of works by women that have been hidden from history or erased by history?
- Belle (2013) movie about Dido Belle #Directedbywomen
- Next up is a new group of gal-pals and that each have 1 cool thing about Black History Month!
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.