Funny gals month continues! The gal-pals tell their favorite jokes, fall in love with an adorable dog named Sparkle, and share their love of the one and only Gilda Radner.
This week’s episode on YouTube has live video.
Show Notes & Extras
- We’re recording on Zoom so that means video!!!!
- The gal-pals this month are Dr. Leah Leah, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris and Debbi Sponsler
- We have already talked about Mabel Normand, and Lucille Ball.
- Get-to-know-you question: tell us your favorite jokes
- Bonnie’s 1 Cool Funny Gal is Gilda Radner
- Gilda’s book It’s Always Something is available at the Gal’s Guide Library!
- Early life in Detroit
- “Overweight” as a child
- Diet pills at the age of 10
- Dippy inspiration
- Father died
- Adult life in Canada
- Second City
- She dated a good number of funny guys
- National Lampoon Show (more history on NPR)
- SNL needed a girl
- Roseanne Roseannadanna
- Emily Litella (took us a bit to remember the name of the little old lady sketch)
- Eating disorder & pressure to lose weight
- One woman show on Broadway. Available on video as Gilda Live!
- Married G.E. Smith
- Met Gene Wilder on the set of Hanky Panky
- Sparkle (the dog)
- Gilda & Gene got married in France
- Trying to have a baby (more from The Independent)
- Health problems
- CLARIFICATION – the disease doctors thought she might have had that Bonnie was trying to remember is Epstein Barr Virus.
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg shout out
- Gilda’s book was published two weeks after her death
- Gene’s book Kiss Me Like a Stranger
- Bonnie shows pictures on a podcast
- NPR interview with Gene Wilder (NPR)
- Documentary Love, Gilda. Currently available on Hulu and Amazon
- Gal pals memories of Gilda
- SNL vs SCTV
SUPPORT US ON PATREON
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
ABOUT GAL’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY PODCAST
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.