It’s a new month and the gal pals are talking about amazing Black women of history. Bonnie Fillenwarth starts us off with Queen Nanny of the Maroons. A Chieftess of Jamaica who legend says caught bullets with her butt and fired them back! Learn about this gal!
Show Notes & Extras
- This month’s gal pals are Katie Harris, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Edan and Dr. Leah Leach
- Katie is now President of the Board!
- Galentine’s shoutout
- Bonnie is now the Vice President!
- Edan is Queen of our world!
- Calendar update
- Friday, Feb 11 Date Night on Campus 6pm-9pm
- Saturday, Feb 12 Stitch n’ Bitch from 12pm-2pm
- Saturday, Feb 12 Nan Reinhardt Book Signing from 2pm-4pm
- Sunday, Feb 13 Galentine’s Brunch 11am advanced tickets required
- Bonnie’s 1 cool Black History Gal is Queen Nanny of the Maroons
- Oral stories and legends but also in archives
- Came to Jamica as a free woman
- Knowledge of herbs and medicines
- Kept her people free from the British
- Old Nannytown – kinda a lost city
- The legends of Queen Nanny
- Bullets in the butt!
- Hypnotizing British soliders to fell into large bowling pot
- “It’s a pumpkin miracle” – Leah
- 1 of 7 national hero’s of Jamica
- $500 bill of Jamica is called a Nanny and she’s on it
- Memorial to her in Mooretown
- 1741 Nanny was given a 500 acre town
- Bump grave
- Documentary on Kanopy “Queen Nanny Legendary Maroon Chieftess”
- Historical boiling
- Queen Nzinga shout out
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.