The gal pals get into how important Black History is to the community before sharing their adoring love for Tina Turner. Tina is an inspiration on SO many levels. Katie talks about Tina’s life and also Tina’s newest book Happiness Becomes You which focuses more on her Baptist upbring and her Buddhist faith.
Show Notes & Extras
- This month’s gal pals are Katie Harris, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Edan and Dr. Leah Leach
- Bonnie already talked about Queen Nanny of the Maroons, and Edan already talked about Grace Wilson Evans
- Calendar Fun – Book Club meeting!
- Get-to-know-you question is your thoughts on continuing Black History Month.
- Reframing slavery and the confederacy by the Daughters of the Confederacy
- Banning books “We got the internet” – Edan
- Teachers shortage and new teachers bill
- Katie’s 1 Cool Black History Gal is Tina Turner
- Your Gal Friday on Tina Turner
- Happiness Becomes You book
- Born in 1934
- Connection to nature
- Buddhism connection
- WW2 separated her from her parents
- Singing in the choir
- Loving the movie
- Abusive father
- Lost a lot of family members in succession
- Ike Turner
- Tina Turner is not her real name
- CORRECTION- Tina dated the Kings of Rhythm drummer, Eugene Washington but she became pregnant after sleeping with Raymond Hill who was the saxophonist.
- Ike and Tina became more involved
- Music success
- Karma and Fate
- 67 cents (might be 36 cents) and a gas card and left Ike
- CORRECTION – it was after en route to a hotel and Dallas that Ike and Tina got into a fight and she fled.
- Terrible divorce
- Solo superstar
- Even more popular in the UK
- First Black artist and first woman on the cover of Rolling Stone
- Stats and firsts
- Swiss citizen
- Chanting albums
- Married to Erwin Bach
- HBO documentary
- UPDATE – Ike’s side of the story after Tina’s book and the movie https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-06-24-ca-6761-story.html
- Angela Basset & Laurance Fishburn love
- Movies, Mad Max and Tommy
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.