To wrap up pirate month Leah talks about the leader of Red Flag Fleet who was so powerful she got a pardon from the Chinese government and got jobs for most of her fleet before retiring into the life of a boss of a gambling den and a Madam. Ching Shih is a true bad-ass who also happened to marry her step-son. It’s just a crazy story, you gotta listen.
- We’re back on Zoom so that means the YouTube has live video of our silly and beautiful faces!
- The gal pals this month are Dr. Leah Leach, Bonnie Fillenwarth, Katie Harris, and Michelle Hammond
- Bonnie already talked about Grace O’Malley Michelle talked about Sayyida al Hurra and Katie talked about Anne Bonny
- Get to know you question – What is the one rule you would have be on your pirate ship?
- DIY project – build your own plank
- Leah’s 1 Cool Pirate Gal is Ching Shih
- Saucy Gals Meeting
- Your Gal Friday
- Prostitute on a floating brothel
- Married in a pirate family
- Ching’s business savvy and pillow talk
- At marriage asked for 50% of the pirate share
- Formed a massive alliance
- 6 fleets she leads the Red Flag Fleet
- 70,000 pirates
- 1,200 ships in the fleet
- Typhoon takeover
- Sharing the power and money
- Cheng Po – adopted son and new husband
- What they did and who tried to stop them
- How they were convinced to surrender
- Pirates turned to government jobs
- She got a pardon
- Gave up the pirate life
- Help the government with military raids
- Step-son/husband dies at sea
- His kids are also his siblings?
- Opened a gambling house and brothel
- Prostitute –> Pirate –> Pardon –> Madam
- Three movie tie in books Pirates of the Caribbean Rising in the East, Day of the Shadow, The Price of Freedom
- Illustration of Ching Shih
- Family tree
- Bonnie’s tree
Support the Show
Like what we do? Want more? On our Patreon page you can access more content including bloopers, behind the scenes.
About The Gal’s Guide Podcast
What if you could only share 1 cool thing about a topic? Would it be about ancient history? Would it be breaking news? Would it be safe for work? A group of gals gathers to present to you one cool thing on topics like painting, gaming, movies, music and more.